Facebook is adding a new feature that will allow publishers to add brand logos to article links that will appear in search results and trending news lists.
(Photo by Facebook Media. https://fbookmedia.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/screen-shot-2017-08-16-at-5-45-20-pm-1.png)
Instead of names beneath article headlines, publisher’s logos will be placed instead.
The change may seem purely cosmetic, but Facebook hopes that this move will prevent users from falling for fake news. The company realised that people rarely recognise the publication behind news feeds and articles that appear on Facebook, thus the need for publishers’ logos to be added.
In a company blog post, Facebook product manager Andrew Anker said that they want to “enhance people’s awareness of the source of content they see on Facebook”, helping them decide better which article or feed to read and share.
In a recent study conducted by the Pew Research Center, data showed that 44% of respondents could not recall where the news link they viewed on social sites originated.
The social media giant also wants to help publishers extend their brand identity easily “by surfacing publisher logos next to article links”, Anker said.
For now, the logos only appear in search results and trending news lists and not on news feeds where people are likely to see them. But this may change very soon.
According to Anker, the goal is to extend the publishers’ logos to all places on the Facebook platform where people consume news.
Fake news has been plaguing the internet world for quite some time. But they have recently become more prevalent and pervasive that world leaders are being dragged into stories that could launch wars.
There is now an increase in demands for Facebook and Google to find solutions for the highly problematic issue.
How Publishers Can Attach a Logo to Article Links
In Brand Assets under Facebook’s Publishing Tools section, upload your mark.
- Go to your Facebook page and click on Publishing Tools.
- Look for the tab Brand Identity in the left-hand column and click on Brand Asset Library.
- Click Add image or drag and drop your file directly.
- Wait for the upload to complete.
For best results, Facebook recommends that you:
- Ensure your logo will display clearly against different backgrounds
- Upload 3 different versions – coloured, black and white, and primarily for white background.
Make sure to follow the guidelines below.
- Only PNG files will be accepted.
- If available, use a horizontal lockup format
- If available, use a file with the highest resolution or a height of 300 pixels or more
- When scaled to fit smaller sizes, the logo must remain legible
- It must have a transparent background with no extra padding around. Extra transparent pixels must be removed.
- No need for secondary text or taglines.
- File should not exceed the horizontal ratio of 1:10
Examples of logos that are and are not acceptable are available on Facebook’s Brand Assets’ page.